Vice President, Workforce
The BGS is now inviting expressions of interest for the post of BGS Vice President: Workforce. Closing date: midnight, 30 September 2018.
The VP will use his/her best endeavours to ensure that the Society, through its publications and electronic media, provides its members with every opportunity to keep up to date with relevant workforce developments and to provide those considering a career in the healthcare of older people to have the information they need to make informed choices. The VP will be responsible for ensuring the BGS captures and analyses all relevant UK workforce date and will provide expert input to inform policy initiatives and to guide the Trustee Board on workforce matters. S/he will work with the Vice President: Training and Education and the Education and Training Committee to ensure good coordination across BGS’s work on education/training and workforce matters. The VP will represent the BGS on the RCP’s Specialist Advisory Committee (SAC) for Geriatric Medicine. S/he will work with the Honorary Secretary and the Policy and Communications Committee to instigate and/or inform any policy initiatives with workforce impact.
- To lead on the capture and analysis of workforce data relevant to BGS members and potential members of all disciplines, and arrange for regular updates to be published in BGS’s website at least every 6 months.
- To lead on knowledge sharing on workforce issues, guiding the Trustee Board as required; coordinating well with the Joint Royal Colleges of Physicians’ geriatrics Specialist Advisory Committee (JRCPTB SAC) and attending its meetings; attending and reporting to the BGS Education and Training Committee and the BGS Policy and Communications Committee, and ensuring that potential and existing members have access to accessible, timely and engaging information on relevant workforce issues.
- To take a multi-disciplinary approach in line with BGS’s aspiration to appeal to a broader range of health professionals, mindful of the workforce information needs not just of geriatricians but GPs, nurses and allied health professionals.
- In collaboration with the Chief Executive, establish, chair and develop a BGS Workforce Advisory Panel
- Oversee the capture and analysis of the best available workforce data relevant to the healthcare of older people across the UK
- Attend the Trustee Board meetings and report and advise on matters relating to workforce
- Liaise with trustees, BGS secretariat and other BGS member officers on matters of strategic importance relating to workforce
- Keep potential members and members up to date on workforce issues through BGS’s communication channels, including producing an update for the website at at least 6-monthly intervals
- Responsible (along with BGS staff) for developing and maintaining the Workforce areas of the BGS website
- Advise on any other workforce materials the BGS may produce
- Liaise with relevant external bodies and to build alliances with a view to raising standards workforce data
- To represent BGS on the RCP’s SAC Geriatric Medicine.
- Comprehensive understanding of workforce issues relevant to the healthcare of older people
- A good knowledge of medical education, CPD, and validation, and of the education an training of nurses and AHPs
- Member of the BGS
- Media training, or a willingness to undertake a refresher course, would be an advantage.
- Has the time needed to fulfil the role
- Strong Chairing and team leadership skills
- Accessible, accountable and responsible
- Ability to influence and determine key areas of policy
- Open minded and flexible
- Committed to collaboration
- Able to motivate and support colleagues
- Goal and target focused.
- the BGS Trustee Board (4 meetings a year)
- The JRCPTB SAC (3 meetings per year, in the morning, followed by….)
- the BGS Education and Training Committee (3 meetings per year, in afternoon following the SAC meeting)
- the BGS Policy and Communications Committee (4 meetings a year).
If you are interested in applying for the VP: Workforce role, please contact the BGS Office & Business Manager, Mark Stewart, on 020 7608 8575,