Membership going online, going personal
The British Geriatrics Society membership has come a long way since the 1970s when its membership numbered barely 800 and the ‘secretariat’ was no more than a briefcase in the keeping of the Honorary Secretary.
Since the active campaign to make our Society more multi-disciplinary, reflecting the nature of older people’s care, it has been gratifying to see our numbers swell to over 3,000 (although by far, the majority is still comprised of medical doctors). Naturally, the secretariat has moved from the Honorary Secretary’s briefcase to Marjory Warren House with eleven members of staff administering committees, membership, accounts, conferences and the Society’s other outreach work (policy and public relations).
The secretariat has been working to manage the challenges of this ever growing and increasingly diverse membership and to be better prepared for the future. With the help of online technology, we have launched an online membership management platform that will better integrate each member’s interactions and activities within the Society. It will also enable members to manage a good part of their membership themselves.
At the foundation of this management system is an online portal - linked to from the Membership button on the BGS website. Members can log in, update their personal information, contact details, manage their communications preferences, join special interest groups, register for upcoming conferences and access the full range of benefits that the BGS has to offer including future resources which will be available to BGS members only.
Of course, you will still be able to communicate with us via telephone, email and letter.
The portal is now live and we are counting on you to log in at least once, to renew your membership for 2016, update your details (if needed), join or renew your membership of Special Interest Groups, and register for a future national or regional meeting.
How to access the online portal
- Visit the BGS website and click ‘Membership’
- Use your username and password – these have been posted and emailed to you. If you miss them please email (N.B You can update your password at any time and we encourage you to do so on your first visit)
- Please update your biographical information, including current hospital/ organisation and contact details as required - please be prepared for this to vary from your current information
- Please confirm your Special Interest Group memberships (see page 36 for more information regarding special interest groups)
- Changes made will take 24 - 48 hours to be updated on your online profile
- Use this portal to renew/pay your membership, register for conferences and join special interest groups to fully experience the benefits of BGS membership.