British Geriatrics Society - Deputy Treasurer
Nominations are invited for the post of Deputy Honorary Treasurer, to take office from November 2017. Nominations must reach the BGS Chief Executive by 10 June 2017. As the Deputy Treasurer automatically succeeds the Honorary Treasurer, the duties for the Honorary Treasurer apply to the Deputy who may need to act for the Treasurer in his/her absence.
Term: The Deputy Honorary Treasurer will serve for 3 years, followed by a further 3 years as Honorary Treasurer and Trustee.
- In the absence of the Honorary Treasurer, act as Chair of the Finance, Fundraising and Corporate Affairs Committee (3 meetings per year)
- Overseeing and assisting the BGS Secretariat with budgets and accounts
- Ensuring that the accounts are prepared in the form required by the Charity Commission and Companies House
- Keeping the BGS Board informed about its financial duties and responsibilities
- Liaising with the Society’s Chief Executive and Accountant in order to oversee the management of the financial affairs of the Society
- Ensuring that BGS has appropriate accounting procedures and controls in place
- Report on financial activities of the Society in the Annual Report and at the Annual General Meeting
- Assist in budget setting with the BGS secretariat
- Provide financial input to the deliberations of the Trustee Board
- Monitor the following major activities:
- Financial performance against budget
- Investment policies and resources
- Financial aspects of risk management.
For a copy of the Society’s overall strategic plan and/or a copy of the Society’s financial procedures, please email the Chief Executive at
Prospective candidates (who must be full members of the Society) are welcome to self-nominate; there is no requirement to apply via your Region or Council. The only requirement is that a nomination must be supported, in writing, by at least five other members who are eligible to vote at the Society’s AGM. Along with the written statements of support, the candidate must submit a statement of consent, in writing, to the effect that:
“I (name) do hereby consent that my name be put forward for nomination to the post of Honorary Deputy Treasurer of the Society for the period 2017-2020”.
The statement of consent and supporting statements must be received by the Chief Executive by email no later than 10 June 2017. Late or incomplete nominations will not be accepted. Should there be more than one nomination, a ballot will be held, details of which will appear in a future edition of the BGS Newsletter and website. The election of the Deputy Honorary Treasurer is subject to ratification by Members at the 2017 Annual General Meeting in November.
Nominations should be emailed to Colin Nee via . Any queries should be directed to the Chief Executive at this address.