BGS Deputy Honorary Secretary
Closing date for expressions of interest: 30 April 2017
The Deputy Honorary Secretary will serve until the Honorary Secretary demits, on which date s/he will automatically take over as Honorary Secretary, and serve in that role for two years.
The Deputy will support the Honorary Secretary, Dr Shane O’Hanlon, and take on a share of his responsibilities, to be mutually agreed. The duties of the Honorary Secretary are:
- Act as one of the most senior officers of, and ambassadors for, the society
- Serve as a member of the BGS Trustee Board and as a director of BGS (Trading) Ltd., our wholly owned trading arm
- Commission articles and edit the BGS Newsletter (6 issues a year)
- Act as one of the commissioners of BGS blogs
- Act as one of the Society’s tweeters in chief
- Approve press releases, blogs and policy submissions to government etc.
- Liaison with external organisations; NHS, Royal Colleges, other specialist medical societies, voluntary organisations and allied professional groups.
- With the other senior officers, the Honorary Secretary will have a key role in strategic planning. Both the Honorary Secretary and Deputy Honorary Secretary can expect to be involved in key projects during their term of office
Both the Deputy and the Honorary Secretary attend
- the BGS Trustee Board (4 meetings a year).
- the Policy and Communications Committee (4 meetings a year).
The time commitment for the Deputy Honorary Secretary will vary but should rarely exceed a few hours a month. Once the Deputy takes over as Honorary Secretary, the time commitment may grow substantially but should rarely exceed 3 - 4 days per month spread unevenly.
This is a voluntary, unpaid role, although travel costs and other expenses will be covered (in accordance with the BGS expenses policy).
HOW TO APPLY
Expressions of interest, in the form of a letter and short career summary should be emailed to the address below by the deadline. The letter should give a brief indication of how the candidate would approach the requirements of the role. It should also confirm that s/he is aware that the Deputy will succeed to the post of Honorary Secretary automatically in due course, and has taken account of the time commitment of such a senior position in the society.
The closing date for expressions of interest is midnight on the 30 April 2017. Email to