Aims of the Peri-operative Care of Older People Ungergoing Surgery SIG (POPS)
The Peri-operative care of Older People undergoing Surgery (POPS) special interest group (SIG) was launched at the second POPS education and training day on the 2nd March 2012. The group’s objectives are to:
- Improve knowledge of issues related to peri-operative care for older people undergoing both emergency and elective surgery
- Provide a forum for education and training in peri-operative medicine for medical and allied health care professionals
- Facilitate national dissemination of effective models of service delivery and work towards standardisation of clinical care for older surgical patients
- Facilitate collaboration between all stakeholders involved in the care of older surgical patients (across elderly medicine, anaesthesia, surgery, allied health care professionals and the voluntary sector)
- Promote collaborative research across units, disciplines and specialties aiming to improve outcomes for older surgical patients
A group of interim officers has been appointed to take the SIG forward until such time as a first Annual General Meeting is held when officers may be nominated and elected by the members of the SIG.