The BGS takes a leading role in policy debates and media outreach relating to healthcare for older people, acting as a voice for our members and the specialty of geriatrics.
In our policy and media work we promote the need for:
- An end to the divide between health and social care.
- Increased investment in health and social care for older people.
- Access to comprehensive geriatric assessment, personalised care plans for treatment and follow-up for all older people with frailty, dementia, complex and multiple and long term conditions.
- The building of greater capacity in intermediate care.
- Staff across all care sectors to develop competencies in the management of older patients.
- Measures of care to focus on what matters most to older people and their families.
We respond to public consultations to inform and influence the development of healthcare policy with the aim of ensuring that the key changes that we are calling for are addressed.
The BGS produces publications including clinical best practice guidance, and is involved with a number of collaborative projects and pilots across the UK.
Journalists seeking information about our work, or expert comment on older people’s healthcare, please visit our Media Enquiries page.
The BGS is increasingly seen as an important and powerful voice advocating for older people."
Dr Eileen Burns, Clinical Lead for Integration, Leeds, and BGS President