Vacancies: Two BGS Lay Trustees
Do you want to help improve healthcare for older people? The British Geriatrics Society is seeking two new lay Trustees
(Unpaid, expenses reimbursed)
The British Geriatrics Society is the professional membership organisation for doctors, nurses and other healthcare specialists engaged in the treatment and care of older people across the UK. Our membership is expanding and we currently have over 3,900 members. We are a registered charity and limited company with a mission to improve the healthcare of older people across the UK. We are based in Farringdon in Central London, with national councils in Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and England.
We are seeking to strengthen our Trustee Board of twelve by recruiting two new lay trustees to take over from the existing lay trustees as they approach the end of their term of office.
- To contribute actively to giving firm strategic direction to the British Geriatrics Society (BGS), setting overall policy, defining goals, and setting targets and evaluating performance
- Scrutinising board papers, leading discussions, focusing on key issues, providing advice and guidance on new initiatives
- Supporting, constructively challenging, and motivating the Chief Executive and other senior staff
- Networking, acting as a BGS ambassador and winning support externally.
- Committed to improving the health care of older people across the UK
- Strategic vision and experience of strategic planning
- One or more of the following areas of experience at a senior level: health or social care commissioning; charity senior management or trusteeship; policy influencing; long term financial strategy; marketing; charity law; commercial sponsorship.
The new lay members of the Trustee Board will help to steer the charity through an exciting period of development.
Our trustees are unpaid but we pay travel and other out of pocket expenses, and provide an induction to the BGS’s work. For further details about the BGS, see our website: www.bgs.org.uk To arrange an informal discussion about the role with an existing lay trustee, please contact our Chief Executive, Sarah Mistry, on 020 7608 1369 or ceo [at] bgs [dot] org [dot] uk.
If you are interested in applying, please send a CV and a short covering statement to the BGS Business and Office Manager, Mark Stewart, at committees [at] bgs [dot] org [dot] uk by midnight on Friday 5 April 2019. Interviews for short listed candidates will be held shortly afterwards.