Vacancy: BGS Lay Trustee
The British Geriatrics Society is the professional membership organisation for doctors, nurses and other healthcare specialists engaged in the treatment and care of older people across the UK. Our multidisciplinary membership is growing and we currently have over 4,500 members. We are a registered charity and limited company with a mission to improve the healthcare of older people across the UK. We are based in Farringdon in Central London, with national councils in Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and England.
- Contributing to the strategic direction of the British Geriatrics Society (BGS), setting overall policy, defining goals, and setting targets and evaluating performance
- Providing governance to ensure compliance with charity law and good practice
- Scrutinising board papers, contributing to discussions, providing advice and guidance on new initiatives
- Supporting, constructively challenging, and motivating the Chief Executive and other senior staff
- Acting as a BGS ambassador, to promote the Society, the specialty and older people’s healthcare.
- Safeguarding the charity’s assets, including its financial sustainability
- Working in a collegiate way with fellow Board members to support the Chair and to provide timely, robust decision-making and leadership.
- Committed to the BGS mission of improving the healthcare of older people across the UK
- Understanding of charities and charity governance
- The ability to think strategically
- Professional experience from one or more of the following areas: health or social care commissioning; charity senior management or trusteeship; policy influencing; digital strategy; commercial sponsorship; human resources.
Registered charity number: 268762 Limited company registration number: 1189776 (England & Wales)