Vacancy: Deputy Chair, England Council
The overall purpose of the England Council is to support and encourage the work of BGS’s English regions and regional officers.
Within the BGS, the Council acts as the forum:
- To debate issues of concern and interest to BGS members based in England with relation to the healthcare of older people;
- To represent the perspective of members within the English regions;
- To provide a forum for representatives from the England regions to share information and good practice in relation to region meetings, region activities and peer support;
- To connect BGS work undertaken in the BGS regions with other BGS committees and SIGs, and to other internal and external organisations and stakeholders, as appropriate.
Dr Mike Azad will shortly succeed Dr Tarun Solanki as Chair of England Council, and as a trustee on the BGS Board of Trustees.
This means that we are now seeking to recruit a new Deputy Chair of the England Council. The term of office as Deputy Chair is for two years, at which point the Deputy Chair will succeed Dr Azad as Chair. The England Council meets 3 times a year.
The England Council Chair is an ex-officio member of the BGS Board of Trustees. The BGS Trustee Board meets 4 times a year and the Chair of England Council is required to attend each meeting.
Main duties of the England Council Chair:
- To chair England Council meetings;
- To contribute to England Council agendas and oversee work undertaken by Council members;
- To help facilitate good contacts between the various England Council regions, including the sharing of good practice in the running and content of local meetings, and the building of stronger local networks and communications;
- To take an active role in BGS Trustee Board meetings, which provide oversight of the Society’s Strategy, operations and finances.
- To update the England Council on key issues arising from Trustee Board meetings and feed in views from the England regions to the Board.
The Deputy Chair supports the Chair in his/her role, chairing England Council meetings in his/her absence, and taking on specific projects as required.
If you are interested in applying for the Deputy Chair role, please contact the BGS Business and Office Manager, Mark Stewart on 020 7608 8575, M [dot] Stewart [at] bgs [dot] org [dot] uk
Self-nominations should be accompanied by a short career summary and a brief indication of how the candidate would approach the requirements of the role. If there is more than one nomination, the candidate will be appointed via interview.
If you are not already a regional office holder and are interested in the Deputy Chair post, you are strongly advised to discuss the role with your regional Chair or Secretary in the first instance. Anyone applying for the role of Deputy Chair should have experience as a regional office holder in the capacity of regional Chair, Secretary or other committee role. We encourage nominations from the multidisciplinary membership of the BGS.
The closing date for self-nominations is Friday 22 January 2021 at 5pm.