Founded in 1947, The British Geriatrics Society is a registered charity and the only Society in the UK offering specialist expertise in the wide range of healthcare needs of older people.
For over 70 years, BGS members have been at the forefront of providing excellent healthcare for older people. To ensure the BGS and our members can keep delivering this vital work, we are asking you to help us by leaving a gift in your will.
Most of the Society’s current income is driven by membership, sponsorship and conferences/events. Due to the coronavirus outbreak, sponsorship and events income has all but disappeared and in the longer term will affect the output of the Society.
Leaving a gift in your will in these difficult times will help secure the future of the BGS. Your gift will make it possible for future members to access the best research, grants and career development opportunities so that they can to continue to transform care for future generations of older people across the UK.
Gifts in wills have already supported important areas of our work
Several bequests have enabled us to offer research grants, fellowships and prizes. Our website was funded by someone remembering us in their will, and this has enabled us to make information and resources more accessible to members, students, other healthcare professionals and policy makers.
How to leave a gift in your will to the BGS
If you decide to include the BGS in your will, you can ask your solicitor or professional advisor to do this by giving them the following details:
The British Geriatrics Society
Marjory Warren House
31 St John’s Square
Registered charity number: 268762
It is entirely up to you whether you tell us that you are remembering the BGS in your will. You simply have to tell your solicitor or professional adviser how much you would like to leave to the Society. You could choose to leave the BGS a cash sum or a percentage of your estate.
Your legacy, our promise
- We recognise that when you prepare your will, your family and loved ones must come first.
- We promise to use your gift wisely.
- If you want BGS to dedicate your gift to an area of our work that’s special to you we are happy to discuss this with you.
- If you tell us you have left a gift in your will to BGS, we would love to discuss ways we can say a simple ‘thank you’.
- We will never ask you to share information about the value or type of gift you have chosen to leave to BGS. That is a private matter for you.
- We know that personal circumstances change and there might be a time when you decide you need to take BGS out of your will.
Our thanks for your gift
Your legacy will support enable future generations of clinicians and healthcare professionals to be more effective in providing the best healthcare for older people. We are planning to display such gratitude in a suitable way at Marjory Warren House.
Finally, if you do choose to remember the BGS with a gift in your will - thank you - we will use it wisely!