Become a member of the BGS
The British Geriatrics Society is the association for professionals working in the healthcare of older people across the UK. We are the only society in the UK offering expertise in the health care of older people, and providing a national voice for specialists working in this field.
Our membership is truly multidisciplinary. It includes consultant geriatricians, nurses, GPs, old age psychiatrists, allied healthcare professionals, and researchers. Everyone specialising in the healthcare of older
people is welcome to join!
Joining the BGS gives you access to a range of professional support and benefits, including:
- Discounted fees for BGS events (saving up to £205 for a single conference in 2018, compared to non-members).
- Accreditation for CPD (continuing professional development) at many of our events.
- Print and online subscriptions to our scientific journal Age & Ageing (available with most membership categories).
- The chance to network with other specialists and experts in the care of older people.
- Membership of various Special Interest Groups within the society that focus on specific conditions, at no extra cost.
- Access to best practice guidance on topics such as diagnosing and treating frailty or commissioning services for care homes.
- A regular newsletter, e-bulletin and blog to keep you updated on the latest news and events.
Many of our members are hospital consultants specialising in the care of older people, but you don't have to be a doctor to join.
If you are a nurse, old age psychiatrist, advanced clinical practitioner, allied healthcare professional or GP with an interest in the healthcare of older people, you are welcome to join.
Membership is free for undergraduate medical students, student AHPs, student nurses and Foundation Year Doctors.