BGS event grants
The BGS has a history of providing grants to encourage medics and healthcare professionals with limited study budgets to access educational opportunities.
We have now streamlined the grants we offer, making them easier to apply for and allowing a greater number of members to access them. You can find out more about applying for a new BGS event grant on this page.
Who is eligible to apply for a grant?
- Category B – Medics in training roles (Foundation year, IMT, registrars, clinical fellows) and SAS grade doctors without study budget
- Category C – Nurses and AHPs, as well as Pharmacists and Physician Associates
- Category D – Undergraduate students – medics, nurse and AHPS
In order to apply for a BGS event grant, you must:
- Have been a continuous member for at least a year.
- Be in the appropriate membership category (B, C or D).
- Have approval from your educational or clinical supervisor and declare that there are no sources of funding available from your employer.
- Apply as early as possible ahead of the conference to ensure sufficient time for your application to be considered and (if successful) for your registration to be confirmed. There is a cut-off date of 7 days before a meeting for grant applications, if there are places remaining.
- Apply when there are available grant places. The number of spaces left will be shown during the application process.
You will be ineligible to apply for a grant if you:
- Have received a BGS grant in the past two years (even if you did not attend the event).
- Register (and pay) in advance of the grant application being approved by BGS. This can take up to 5 days.
- Provide inaccurate information in your application. Grants can be rejected or rescinded if any of the information supplied is found to be erroneous.
- 2023 Improving Continence in Older People, 15 September - Hybrid Event (Manchester & Online)
- 24th International Conference on Falls and Postural Stability, 29 September 2023 - Hybrid Event (Newcastle & Online)
- 2023 Leadership and Management, 4-5 November - Nottingham (in person only)
- 2023 Autumn Meeting, 22-24 November - Hybrid Event (Birmingham & Online)
Nation and Region Meetings in 2023:
- North Thames Autumn Meeting, 6 September - Hybrid Event (London & Online)
- Wales Autumn Meeting, 21-22 September - Hybrid Event (Swansea & Online)
- Scotland Autumn Meeting, 6 October - Hybrid Event (Glasgow & Online)
- Joint BGS and Northern Ireland Frailty Network Meeting, 13 October - Hybrid Event (Belfast & Online) - Free to attend
- Trent and West Midlands Region Meeting, 20 October - Hybrid Meeting
- Mersey and North West Region Autumn Meeting, 8 December - Hybrid Meeting
How do I apply for a grant?
We have streamlined the application process for our grants to ensure the maximum number of members can benefit.
To apply for a grant, follow the steps below:
- Log into the BGS website.
- Select the BGS event you are interested in attending from our main events page.
- Click the pink 'Register online' button on the right hand side of the screen (or near to the bottom of the screen on a mobile device). If this button is not visible, the event is not yet open for registration, so please try again later.
- If you meet the eligibility criteria above, you will have the option to register for a grant for the event at the top of the registration form. If you believe you are eligible but this option is not displayed, please email membership [at] bgs [dot] org [dot] uk and we will check your membership status and eligibility.
- Choose how you would like to attend the event (online or in person) and complete and submit the grant application form. Do not register for the meeting at this stage.
- Our team will review your application and communicate the outcome via email, usually within 5 days.
- If you are successful, register for the event as instructed in the outcome email. If you are unsuccessful, you can submit a new application for a grant for an alternative meeting, provided you meet the eligibility criteria.