Scottish Care of Older People (SCoOP) Project
Scottish Care of Older People (SCoOP) is a Scottish national evaluation project focusing on care of older people across Scotland in both primary and secondary care settings.
What is SCoOP?
SCoOP has the following overarching aims:
- To evaluate the variation in service provision for older people who require health and social care in various settings to serve as a driver for standardisation and improvementof care across Scotland.
- To provide benchmarking tools for various care aspects of older people in Scottish NHS health and social care setting to support improvement work in services across Scotland.
- To provide a health intelligence and knowledge transfer hub for service users , health care providers and policy makers through annual evaluation cycles.
This is a joint initiative set up in late 2016 by three key partners: Health Improvement Scotland, the British Geriatrics Society Scotland Council, and the University of Aberdeen as the lead Academic Institution, with representatives from other Scottish Universities with Clinical Academic Departments in Geriatric Medicine.
SCoOP Acute Hospitals Outcomes Reports
Annual reports providing an overview of outcomes of acute geriatric medicine services in Scotland.
The latest report, SCoOP Acute Hospital Outcomes Report: 2018/19, was published on 24 February 2021.
Papers, posters and presentations giving further detail and analysis on SCoOP's mission and data.
1. Donaldson AIC, Neal SR, McAlpine CH, Quinn T, Shenkin SD, Ellis G*, Myint PK*; on behalf of SCoOP Steering Group. (*these authors contributed equally). The variation in acute and community service provision of care of the elderly services across the Scotland: Findings from the Scottish Care of Older People (SCoOP) National Audit initial scoping survey. Journal of the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh 2019;49(2):105-111.
- “Scottish Care of Older People (SCoOP) National Audit”. 1-2 November 2017, BGS Scotland Autumn Meeting. Phyo K Myint, Christine McAlpine & Graham Ellis.
- Is acute care ageist? Graham Ellis, Phyo K Myint. EUGMS, Berlin, 10-12 October, 2018.
- “What’s the scoop on SCoOP? Update on Scottish Care of Older People (SCoOP) project” 26 April 2019, BGS Scotland Spring Meeting. Southhall Complex, University of Edinburgh.
- SCoOP update. BGS Scotland Autumn 2019, Dumfries, 22 November 2019. Marc Locherty, Christine McAlpine, Phyo K Myint.
- Important variations in care of the elderly services. 31 January 2019 as the First Prize paper from a doctor from training grade awarded to Dr Alison Donaldson. Presented at the Medical Trainees: On-call Handbook Symposium 2020.
- Pana TA, Neal SR, Perdomo J, Donaldson AIC. On Behalf of SCoOP Steering Group. Scottish Care of Older People: initial scoping survey results. Scottish BGS Spring Meeting, Rutherglen, 27 April 2018.
- Older age is associated with higher percentage of breaches for 4 hour Emergency Department waiting time: Scottish Experience. Graham Ellis, PK Myint. NRS Conference, 30 October, Perth 2018.
SCoOP Steering Group
- Professor Phyo Kyaw Myint, University of Aberdeen
- Professor Graham Ellis, NHS Lanarkshire
- Dr Alison IC Donaldson, University of Aberdeen
- Dr Louise Beveridge, NHS Tayside
- Professor Corri Black, Grampian DASH
- Dr Jennifer Burns, BGS Scotland, Co-opted
- Dr Anthony Byrne, NHS Forth Valley
- Dr Patricia Cantley, SCoOP Media Lead
- Dr Amy Conley, Dumfries & Galloway
- Dr Claire Copeland, BGS Workforce Lead
- Dr Kathryn Anderson, NHS Lothian (Kathryn, Kath)
- Dr Alice Einarsson, NHS Shetland
- Miss Beatrix Elsberger, Breat Oncology Lead
- Dr Graeme Hoyle, NHS Grampian
- Mrs Geraldine Jordan, Health Care Improvement Scotland
- Dr Allan MacDonald, NHS Highland
- Dr Christine McAlpine, BGS Scotland, Co-opted
- Mr David A McDonald MBE, Modernising Patient Pathways Programme
- Dr Morven McElroy, NHS Glasgow & Clyde
- Dr Laura McGarrity, RCoA Scotland
- Dr Alan McKenzie, BGS Scotland Chair
- Professor Susan Moug, ELLSA
- Dr Terrance Quinn, University of Glasgow
- Mr George Ramsay, The Scottish Surgical Research Group
- Professor Sir Lewis Ritchie, University of Aberdeen
- Dr Susan Shenkin, University of Edinburgh
- Dr Roy L Soiza, Scottish Society of Physicians
- Dr Ralph Thomas, NHS Fife
- Dr Rowan Wallace, NHS Ayrshire & Arran
- Mrs Kathryn Wood, Older People Pharmacy Services
- Ms Penny Bond, HIS (2017-2018)
- Ms Karen Goulding, HIS (2017-2018)
- Dr Alice Einarsson, NHS Shetland (2017-2019)
- Dr Andrew Coull, NHS Lothian (2017-2019)
- Mr Scott Buchanan, NHS National Services Scotland (2018-2020)
- Dr Andrew Watt, NHS Ayrshire & Arran (2017-2020)