Medicine optimisation: Recommended reading and resources
Our fact sheets help you find resources beyond the British Geriatrics Society website
30 September 2020
Last updated:30 September 2020
This list of recommended resources and further information on medicines optimisation in older people has been curated by the BGS Medicine Optimisation Special Interest Group (SIG).
- Guthrie B, Makubate B, Hernandez-Santiago V et al. The rising tide of polypharmacy and drug-drug interactions: population database analysis 1995-2010. BMC Med 2015; 13: 74.
- Polypharmacy guidance: medicines review - NHS Scotland
- Scottish Government Polypharmacy Model of Care Group. Polypharmacy Guidance, Realistic Prescribing 3rd Edition, 201 - Scottish Government
- Duerden M, Avery T, Payne R. Polypharmacy and medicines optimisation: making it safe and sound - The King’s Fund, 2013.
- Petchey L, Gentry T. More harm than good: why more isn’t always better with older people’s medicine - Age UK, 2019.
- National Institute for Health and Care Excellence. Multimorbidity: clinical assessment and management. NICE Guideline 56, 2016
- National Institute for Health and Care Excellence. Medicines optimisation: the safe and effective use of medicines to enable the best possible outcomes. NICE guideline 5, 2015.
- Primary Health Tasmania. Deprescribing resources
- Deprescribing.org. Deprescribing Guidelines and Algorithms.
- Woodford HJ, Fisher J. New horizons in deprescribing for older people. Age Ageing 2019; 48: 768-75.