Vacancies: Finance, Fundraising and Corporate Affairs Committee
Are you interested in what it takes to maintain charitable status and the basics of corporate finance? Would you like to acquire transferrable financial skills that are relevant to decision-making processes within your hospital or workplace?
If you are a BGS member interested in good governance and ensuring the financial sustainability of the Society in line with our Strategic Plan 2020-2023, please consider joining our Finance, Fundraising and Corporate Affairs Committee!
Term: Two years
- To help ensure good governance of the Society by participating in committee meetings
- Scrutinising quarterly management accounts, and the Society’s annual accounts.
- Scrutinising the Society’s annual budget and operational plan
- Providing guidance and opinion on the Society’s financial position and strategies for managing its budget, finances, reserves and risk
- Making recommendations to the Trustee Board on matters delegated to the FFRCA including cost of living increases to staff salaries, risk management and other financial matters
- Showing an active and current interest in all aspects of the Society’s work.
The committee is chaired by the BGS Honorary Treasurer. It meets four times a year with one meeting (in March/April) held by teleconference only. Meetings will require a half day in London, usually on a Thursday afternoon, as well as preparation time. Committee members are expected to participate in each meeting, preferably in person, though conference call facilities are available.
You do not need to have extensive experience of finance or budgets, but an interest in how resources are managed and the ability to ask sensible questions are useful. We encourage multidisciplinary members of the Society to apply.
Reasonable travel expenses will be reimbursed.
How to apply:
If you are interested in this role please respond to Mark Stewart, Office and Business Manager by email M [dot] Stewart [at] bgs [dot] org [dot] uk by 10 March 2020. Your email should contain a brief description of why you are interested in the role and a short career summary. If you would like to have an informal chat about the role, please contact Janet Sarll, Director of Business Support by email j [dot] sarll [at] bgs [dot] org [dot] uk